Department Of Surgical Gastroenterology And GI Oncology
The Department of Surgical Gastroenterology and GI Oncology is functioning from the year 1995. The 1st incumbent HOD was Dr.M.Subramanian. MS., M.Ch. (SGE).Subsequently the department improved in performance both in academical & surgical aspects under the able guidance of Dr.Muthukrishnan, Dr.Thirunavukkarasu, Dr.C.Duraisamy, Dr.C.Sugumar, Dr.T.Selvaraj and currently Dr. A.Sivasankar.
The department provides expert surgical services to the neighbouring districts of Dharmapuri, Osur, Krishnagiri, Kallakurichi, Namakkal, Erode & Tirupur in addition to the people of Salem. We deal with all gastroenterological disorders, in particular GI cancers. We do all sophisticated open surgical procedures of the GI tract from complex anal fistulas to complex liver, pancreas and esophageal surgeries. We provide bariatric surgical services as well. The department has performed and continues to do advanced laparoscopic procedures especially for GI cancers.
We have been on the mission of providing state of the art surgical care in the field of GI Surgery with a special focus on GI Oncology. We are continuously striving to make our department a centre for excellence in minimally invasive GI Surgery and GI Oncology. Our future goals are basic and clinical science research in GI Surgery, GI oncology and Robotic Surgery. Our efforts are underway for carrying out regular liver transplantation in our department. We are providing services that match international standards in GI Surgery.
We also impart scientific and surgical training to two MCh post graduates every year. The department encourages MS postgraduates to undertake dissertation topics related to Surgical Gastroenterology. We work in close liaison with the department of Medical Gastroenterology and are providing expert surgical help in the field of GI Surgery to other super-speciality and broad speciality departments. The Department has substantially shown good performance in every aspect performing major GI surgeries under the Chief Minister’s Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme.
The department has grown both in terms of man power and infrastructure. The department functions with a single unit headed by Prof. Dr. A. Sivasankar. There are two Associate Professors, five Assistant professors and two M.Ch post graduates.
|1||Dr. A. SIVASANKAR||M.S.,M.Ch(SGE), DNB||Professor & HOD|
|2||Dr. B. KESAVAN||M.S.,M.Ch(SGE)||Associate Professor|
|3||Dr. M. PONCHIDAMBARAM||M.S.,M.Ch(SGE)||Associate Professor|
|4||Dr. R. D. R. SOMASEKAR||M.S.,M.Ch(SGE)||Assistant Professor|
|5||Dr. C. RAMAMURTHY||M.S.,M.Ch(SGE)||Assistant Professor|
|6.||Dr. K. DINESHKUMAR||M.S.,M.Ch(SGE)||Assistant Professor|
|7.||Dr. O. K. PRAKASHEN||M.S.,M.Ch(SGE)||Assistant Professor|
Address For Communication
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology and GI Oncology, OP 146, 2nd Floor, PMSSY Block, Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College Hospital, Salem - 636001.
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Department Website Incharge: Dr. R. D. R. Somasekar, Assistant Professor.
Services Provided/facilities Available
We conduct outpatient services from 8:00am to 12:00 pm on all days except Sundays.
Venue: OP 146, 2nd Floor, PMSSY Block, GMKMCH, Salem.
|S. No.||Name Of The Clinic||Days||Timings|
|1||LIVER CLINIC||Tuesdays||10:00 AM to 12:00 PM|
|2||PANCREAS CLINIC||Thursdays||10:00 AM to 12:00 PM|
|3||GI ONCOLOGY CLINIC||Saturdays||10:00 AM to 12:00 PM|
|4||STOMA / COLORECTAL CLINIC||Saturdays||10:00 AM to 12:00 PM|
In-Patient Beds available are 38, with 6 Operation Tables PER WEEK
1. Advanced Laparoscopic Surgeries
2. Advanced HPB Surgeries
3. Minimally invasive GI Oncology Surgeries
4. Bariatric Surgery
5. Interventional Endoscopic procedures
6. GI reconstructive surgery for Corrosive injuries of the GI tract
Surgery For GI Cancers
SURGERY FOR GALL BLADDER CANCER
SURGERY FOR BILE DUCT CANCER
SURGERY FOR LIVER CANCER
SURGERY FOR COLON CANCER
LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY FOR PANCREATIC TUMOUR
LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY FOR OBESITY
GI RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY FOR ACID POISONING
LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY FOR RECTAL CANCER
VIDEO – ASSISTED THORACOSCOPIC SURGERY FOR OESPHAGUS CANCER
ADVANCE LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY
SURGERY FOR CANCER OESOPHAGUS
LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY FOR BILIARY CYST
LAPAROSCOPIC WHIPPLES PROCEDURE
We have state of the art operating theatre with advanced surgical equipments. We have a Karl Storz Spies advanced HD laparoscopy operating system in addition to a 3 chip laparoscopy. We have installed advanced vessel sealing devices like Gen 11 harmonic scalpel, Ligasure from Valley Lab & Argon plasma coagulator. There is a recent addition of Cavitron Ultrasonic Aspirator (CUSA) system into our surgical armamentarium. We have the most recent powered Echelon endo-stapling devices. In addition to all these we have a constant supply of various types of advanced stapling devices for GI surgeries. Our endoscopy machines are having high definition with FICE Technology. Last but not the least we have semi flexible Ureteroscopy for managing common bile duct stones.
CAVITRON ULTRASONIC ASPIRATOR USED FOR LIVER RESECTION
LIVER RESECTION DONE USING CUSA
ARGON PLASMA COAGULATOR
HIGH DEFINITION ENDOSCOPY WITH FICE TECHNOLOGY SHOWING A CANCEROUS LESION
We have formulated a structured training program for MCh Post Graduates as per the regulations laid down by the Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University. A monthly academic schedule with special emphasis on recent advances, controversies and consensus in GI Surgery and GI Oncology is framed every month. We also encourage our PGs to focus on Genetics in GI Surgery and undertake research activities. We also conduct yearly CME and Liver Surgical workshops with a special focus on GI Oncology.
We have been regularly conducting National Board of Examination DrNB Surgical Gastroenterology practical exams for the past two years successfully
Research Activities / Projects:
1. Primary early surgery for internal pancreatic fistulas.
2. Search for specific genetic signature in Colorectal cancer in our population.
3. The trend in LFT & its prognostic significance in Liver trauma.
4. Transgastric Laparoscopic Necrosectomy for WON.
5. Laparoscopic CBD Exploration with semirigid Ureteroscope.
6. Management of Pancreatic trauma based on a Modified AAST grading system.
7. Step up approach in the conservative management of high grade liver injuries.
8. Genetic Studies in Colorectal Cancer.
9. A comparative study of open and laparoscopic management of choledocholithiasis.
10. Primary early surgery for chronic calcific pancreatitis vs step up approach.
1. LAPAROSCOPIC MANAGEMENT OF COMMON BILE DUCT STONES USING SEMI RIGID URETEROSCOPY in AMASICON, ASICON.
2. Management of Common Bile Duct Stones - A Single Centre Experience. IASGCON.
3. Paper- Early surgery in internal pancreatic fistula, 9-10th Oct 2021, IASGCON, virtual.
4. Indian association of surgical gastroenterology - Management of pancreatic trauma in tertiary care hospital, Date - 9/10/2022.
5. Indian association of surgical gastroenterology - Pancreatic duct fluid culture and sensitivity and it’s implications in post operative outcomes in patients undergoing surgical management for chronic pancreatitis, Date - 10/10/2021
6. IHPBA - laparoscopic trans gastric necrosectomy and cystogastrostomy for WOPN, Date - 12/2/2022.
7. Sahana B P, Single centre observational study on management of Diaphragmatic disorders, 9-10th October 2021, XXXIst National Conference IASGCON 2021 Virtual, Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology
1. Pancreatic Ascites - Study of therapeutic options by analyzing operative and non operative interventions – IHPBA
2. Internal pancreatic fistula - A single centre experience, 11-13th Feb 2022, IHPBA PGIMER, Chandigarh
3. Sahana B P, Early Surgery for Chronic Calcific Pancreatitis 11-13th February 2022, 18th Annual Conference of Indian Chapter of IHPBA 2021 (Virtual)
The Department also holds the credit of having more than 12 research articles on ResearchGate and has more than 7 citations at the present moment.
1. Cystic lesion of pancreas – management options. A.Sivashankar, GMKMC, Salem, Tropical gastroenterology, Vol30 no:3 (Supplement) July-Sep 2009.
2. Acute gastric volvulus- Report of 3 cases. A.Sivashankar, GMKMCH, Salem, Tropical gastroenterology, vol30 no:3 (Supplement) July-Sep 2009.
3. Locally advanced Oesophagogastric junction carcinoma- Treatment options. A.Sivashankar, GMKMCH , Salem, Tropical gastroenterology, vol30 no:3 ( supplement ) July-Sep 2009.
4. Role of devascularisation procedure in non- cirrhotic portal hypertension and outcome analysis. Sivashankar Amarapathy, The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai :Tropical gastroenterology, vol 31 no:3 ( supplement 1) July-Sep 2010.
5. Role of Freys procedure in inflammatory head mass of chronic calcific pancreatitis and outcome analysis. Sivashankar Amarapathy, The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai :Tropical gastroenterology, vol 31 no:3 ( supplement 1) July-Sep 2010.
6. Spectrum of Upper Gastro Intestinal Lesions in Dyspeptic Patients and their Association with Helicobacter Pylori Infection in Western Part of Tamil nadu, India. International Journal of Scientific Research, April-2017 Volume-6, Issue-4, ISSN-2277-8179. 1. Vajravelu Jayanthi, 2. Amarapathy Sivasankar.
7. Association of Helicobacter Pylori with Differentiation of Gastric Adenocarcinoma – Experience from Tertiary care centre in Tamil Nadu. Indian Journal of Applied Research.May-2017,Volume-7,Issue-5,ISSN–2249-555X. 1. Vajravelu Jayanthi 2. Amarapathy Sivasankar.
8. Histological Detection of Helicobacter Pylori: Comparison of Giemsa and Immunohistochemistry Techniques in Gastric Adenocarcinoma Specimens. Indian Journal of Pathology: Research and Practice, June-2017 Volume-6, Number-2, ISSN-2278-148X. 1. Vajravelu Jayanthi, 2. Amarapathy Sivasankar.
9. Demography and Histomorphological Spectrum of Colorectal Polyps- A 5 Year Study in a Tertiary Care Centre in Tamil Nadu. Indian Journal of Research, May-2018 Volume–7,Issue-5,ISSN-2250-1991. 1.Vajravelu Jayanthi2. Amarapathy Sivasankar
10. Management of Gastro Intestinal Surgical Disorders in Retroviral Patients – Experience from a Tertiary Care Centre in India. International Journal of Scientific Research,November-2018,Volume-7,Issue-11,ISSN–2277-8179, Ravikumar Subbarayan, Somasekar Ramalingam Durai Rajan.
11. Clinico Pathological Spectrum of Gastro Intestinal Malignancies – A 5 years Experience in a Tertiary Care Centre, Tamil Nadu. Indian Journal of Research, February -2019 Volume-8,Issue-2,ISSN–2250-1991, 1.Vajravelu Jayanthi 2. Amarapathy Sivasankar
12. A Rare Tumour of Pancreas – Case Report. International Journal of Surgery Case Reports.May–2020,Volume-72,ISSN–2210-2612,P.SaiKrishna, Amarapathy Sivasankar.
13. Primary reinforcement With Rectus Abdominis Muscle Flap-A Salvage Technique For A Tenuous Posttraumatic Duodenal Perforation- A Case Report, International Journal of Surgery Case Reports. August 2020,Volume 74 ISSN – 2210-2612, SomasekarRamalingamDuraiRajan, Amarapathy Sivasankar, P.SaiKrishna.
14. Foreign bodies in the Oesophagus – Surgery for failed endoscopic retrieval International Surgery Journal. 2017 April ; 760
15. Spectrum of Upper Gastro Intestinal Lesions in Dyspeptic Patients and their Association with Helicobacter pylori Infection in Western part of Tamilnadu India Indian Journal of Scientific Research. 2017 April 759 – 760.
16. Demography And Histomorphological Spectrum Of Colorectal Polyps - A 5 Year Study In A Tertiary Care Centre In Tamilnadu. May 2018.
17. Krishna SP, Somasekar RDR, Sivasankar A, Kesavan B, Chidambaram PM, Ramamurthy C. Pancreatic duct fluid culture in patients with chronic pancreatitis undergoing operative intervention and its implications on post operative course. Int Surg J2021;8:3569-75.
18. Katheresan V, Sivasankar A, Ponchidambaram M, Kesavan B, Somasekar RDR. Non-operative management for pancreatic ascites: A case series. Edorium J Gastrointest Surg 2021;6:100007G02KV2021.
19. Somasekar R, Krishna P S, Kesavan B, et al. (May 06, 2022) A Pragmatic Approach to Pancreatic Trauma: A Single-Center Experience From a Tertiary Care Center. Cureus 14(5): e24793. DOI 10.7759/cureus.24793
20. Katheresan V, Ramamurthy C, Kumar DK, Kesavan B, Ponchidambaram M, Sivasankar A. Case series of acute abdomen with midgut malrotation presenting in adulthood. Gastroenterol Hepatol Endosc Pract 2022;2:20-3.
21. Dr.Sivasankar A Mch, et. al. “Management of Common Bile Duct Stones A Single-Center Experience.” IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS), 20 (07), 2021, pp. 14-19.
22. Siva Sankar A, O K P, Banu K J, et al. (September 15, 2022) A Single-Center Experience of Internal Pancreatic Fistulas. Cureus 14(9): e29181. doi:10.7759/cureus.29181.
23. Sahana BP, K Dinesh Kumar, Sivasankar A, Ponchidambaram M, Kesavan B. Surgical management of diaphragmatic hernia and eventration – a single centre experience. International Journal of Gastroenterology Hepatology and Endoscopy. 2022;01(02). doi.org/10.51521/IJGHE.2022.1206
24. Ramamurthy C, Khamar J Banu, A Sivasankar. Early Percutaneous Drainage of Fluid Collection in Acute Pancreatitis- A Prospective Study. JOP. J Pancreas. (2023) 24:799
Accepted for Publication
Swaminathan Rajan, Sivasankar Amarapathy and Somasekar Durairajan, "Takotsubo cardiomyopathy complicating acute on chronic pancreatitis - A Case Report” - Asian Journal Of Medical Sciences (e-ISSN: 2091-0576);(p-ISSN: 2467-9100).
Below book chapter will be published in the following book:
"Patients with pancreatic duct fluid culture and chronic pancreatitis undergoing surgical intervention and its effects on the course of the disease after surgery".
Book Name: Current Progress in Medicine and Medical Research Vol. 9.
Print ISBN Number: 978-81-19491-66-7
E ISBN Number: 978-81-19491-67-4
The book is at the typesetting stage at the press. We are expecting the book will be published soon.
1. GASTROCON 2017This was a state level Gastrointestinal Oncology conference. There were more than 300 delegates from all over the state participating in the conference. There was a live surgical workshop demonstrating various GI oncology procedures- both open and advanced laparoscopic procedures. There were also live endoscopic procedures. The conference was a grand success with the award of 30 CME credit points by the TamilnaduDr.MGR Medical University.
2. GASTROCON 2019
This was an one day conference with live surgical and endoscopic workshop. The conference theme was GI oncology with a main focus on Laparoscopic GI Oncology. Laparoscopic GI Oncology procedures were demonstrated by stalwarts in the field. There was also live ERCP and Endoultrasound procedural demonstration. There were about 400 participants from all over the state. The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University had granted 20 CME credit points for the conference.
3. GASTROCON 2023This is state level, one day Gastroenterology conference with Surgical, Endoscopic and Laparoscopic workshop. The conference theme was Biliary Tract injuries and prevention and management. There was vast discussion on Biliary system anomalies, Biliary injuries, preventive measures including newer imaging technologies ICG flourescence, MRI 3D Reconstruction and management strategies. There were about 350 members. There was a live endoscopic and laparoscopic training for Post Graduates. The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University had granted 10 credit hours for the conference.
During the COVID years 2020 and 2021, the performance of our SGE Department was highest in entire state of Tamilnadu under the CMCHIS scheme. Also, we have always been one among the Top two highest performing SGE departments in the entire state under the CMCHIS scheme.
|S. No.||Year||Total OP Census||Total Ward Census||Elective Surgeries||Emergency Surgeries||OGD Scopy||Colono Scopy||SVS||Broncho Scopy||Sigmoid Scopy|
|6.||2023 (Until July)||3121||1142||293||195||457||195||21||19||13|
|S. No.||Year||Total Pre-Auth Cases||Total Pre-Auth||Total Claim Cases||Total Claim|
|8.||2023 (Until July)||233||8234050||234||7198250|