Willis Potts – one of the pioneers of pediatric surgery, highlighted in his book “Surgeon and the Child”, that
“If this infant could speak, it would beg imploringly of the Surgeon, please exercise the greatest gentleness with my miniature tissues and try to correct the deformity at the first operation. Give me blood and the proper amount of fluid and electrolytes; and plenty of oxygen to the anesthesia and I will show that I can tolerate terrific amount of surgery. You will be surprised at the speed of my recovery and I shall be always grateful to you.”
This is dedicated to the infant who has the great misfortune of being born with a serious deformity…
Evolution and development of department paediatric surgery is to establish standards of excellence in the surgical care of infants and children and to provide a forum for the dissemination of information with regard to pediatric surgery.
Surgery of children has been practiced since times immemorial. The rapid strides and the recognition as an independent entity, it made, during the last six decades is astonishing. It has been likened to the evolution of an acorn to oak tree, growing from humble beginnings to a well recognized surgical specialty.
While Pediatric surgery as a specialty is more than about 50 years old in India, Department of Paediatric Surgery was started with two pediatric surgeons in 1986 in GMKMCH, Salem. Daily out-patient and in-patient services, academic activities were carried out. In the year 2001 it was upgraded with one post of Professor. In 2011, two more Professor / Associate Professor Posts and 4 Assistants Professor were added. Now in 2022, Department has 1 post of Professor, 2 Posts of Associate Professors and 7 posts of Assistant Professors. Daily about 40 out-patients are attending our OPD.
1.Dr.P.Manikandhan,MS,MCh., - HOD and Professor
2.Dr.M.Selvakumar,MS,MCh., - Associate Professor
3.Dr.S.Prabhakaran,MS,MCh., - Associate Professor
4.Dr.N.Saravanan,MS,MCh., - Senior Assistant Professor
5.Dr.M.Shankar,MS,MCh., - Senior Assistant Professor
6.Dr.S.VijayaBaskaran,MS,MCh., -Senior Assistant Professor
7.Dr.J.SulthanaDhilras,MS,MCh., - Assistant Professor
8.Dr.N.Kodieshwaran,MS,MCh., - Senior Resedent
9.Dr.P.Jayakumar,MS,MCh., - Senior Resedent
- We have our OPD functioning on all days except on Sundays from 10am to 12 noon. our elective OT FUNCTIONS ON TUESDAY, THURSDAY AND SATURDAYS.
- EMERGENCY PAEDIATRIC AND NEWBORN OT is available on all days 24*7. We do minimally invasive surgeries for newborn, children and many complex and life saving surgeries for needy children and newborn with congenital defects.
- SPECIALITY CLINICS
- ENDOSCOPY ROOM
- DEPARTMENT LIBRARY
- SEMINAR HALL
- DEMONSTRATION ROOM & CLASS ROOMS
- OFFICES FOR FACULTY MEMBERS
- EQUIPMENTS AND EXPECTED FACILITIES
- CENTRAL LABORATORY
- INVESTIGATION FACILITIES
- RECREATIONAL FACILITIES
- CENTRAL OXYGEN SUPPLY
- AIR CONDITIONED OPERATION THEATRES
- BIOMEDICAL WASTE DISPOSAL
- GENERATOR FACILITY
- HOSTEL FACILITIES
- CENTRAL LIBRARY
- BLOOD BANK
- MEDICAL RECORD SECTION
- ETHICAL COMMITTEE
- MEDICAL EDUCATION UNIT
DETAILS OF INFRASTRUCTURE
PED SURGERY DEPARTMENT – OUTDOOR
|1||WAITING SPACE FOR PATIENTS|
|2||ENQUIRY & RECORD ROOM|
|3||EXAMINATION ROOMS – 4|
|6||SPECIAL CLINICS ROOM|
|8||CASE DEMONSTRATION ROOM|
DEPARTMENT OF PAEDIATRIC SURGERY - INDOOR
|3||EXAMINATION & TREATMENT ROOM|
|6||RESIDENT DOCTOR AND STUDENT DUTY ROOM|
|7||CLINICAL DEMONSTRATION ROOM|
PED SURGERY DEPARTMENT-FACULTY ROOMS
|S.NO||INFRASTRUCTURE – ROOMS|
|3||ASSISTANT PROFESSORS – FEMALE|
|4||ASSISTANT PROFESSORS – MALE|
PEDIATRIC SURGERY DEPARTMENT – OPERATION THEATRE UNIT
|3||NEW BORN OT|
|4||WAITING ROOM FOR PATIENTS|
|5||POST-OP RECOVERY ROOM|
|6||SOILED LINEN ROOM|
|YEAR||OUT PATIENT CENSUS||IN PATIENT CENSUS|
|YEAR||MAJOR SURGERY||MINOR SURGERY|
|2022 till date||609||469|
EMERGENCY OPERATION CENSUS
|Year||MAJOR SURGERY||MINOR SURGERY|
|2022 till date||122||470|
|Total No of Teaching beds required||: 40|
|Neonatal surgical ICU beds||: 10|
|Total No of Teaching beds available||: 50|
|Number of Units in the department||: 2|
|S NO||NAME OF THE CLINIC||Days|
|2||PED. UROLOGY CLINIC||TUESDAYS|
|3||CLEFT LIP / PALATE CLINIC||WEDNESDAYS|
|5||NEWBORN SURGERY CLINIC||FRIDAYS|
|6||ANTENATAL COUNSELLING FOR CONGENITAL ANOMALIES||ALL DAYS|
|SL. NO||NAMES OF THE EQUIPMENT||NO OF EQUIPMENT|
|4||UPPER GI ENDOSCOPE||1|
|8||PHOTO THERAPY UNIT||5|
|10||MULTI PARA MONITORS||10|
|SL. NO||NAMES OF THE EQUIPMENT||NO OF EQUIPMENT|
|11||ADVANCED LAPAROSCOPIC SET||2|
|12||VESSEL SEALING DEVICES||1|
|14||FULGURATING UNIT FOR POSTERIOR URETHRAL VALVE||1|
|15||MONOPOLAR AND BIPOLAR DIATHERMY||3|
|16||URETERO RENO SCOPY||1|
MAJOR OPERATION THEATRE
MINOR OPERATION THEATRE
|22||OPERATION THEATRE LIGHT||1|
|23||EQUIPMENTS FOR MINOR SURGICAL PROCEDURES||AVAILABLE|
ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
- We have conducted our state conference online last year, “virtual TPPSCON july 2021.
- We actively take part in our state and national conference presenting papers and research materials.
- We keep getting appreciation every year from our institution head and from the district collector for the hardwork and efforts.
- We operate cases under CMCHIS..we admit cases under VarumunKappomThittam(vkt) and participated in camps in MakkalaiThediMaruthuvam and create public awareness and sensitise the public regarding various congenital conditions and its corrections readily available to be offered to help the innocent lives.
- We participate in TAEI PROGRAMMES AND also train doctors from all parts of the district and other health care workers.
- We take academic sessions and classes for undergraduate students MBBS every month.
- We have MS general surgery and MD paediatrics post graduates posted for whom we take regular academic programmes and they have presented research papers and publications in various state and national conferences.
- we have two MCH PAEDIATRIC SURGERY SEATS AVAILABLE IN OUR DEPARTMENT.
- We celebrated “Paediatric Surgery Week” from November 14 to November 21, 2021 to create public awareness about the problems and diseases in pediatric age group and treatments available.
We are working
- To enhance our institution to a state of art faculty in paediatric and neonatal surgical care
- To provide a forum for the initiation, discussion and development of ideas and problems related to the surgery of infants and children.
- To stimulate the study and teaching of the surgery of infants and children.
- To disseminate the principle of providing better surgery for children.
WISH TO TELL THE PUBLIC
- We are availabe 24*7 for any paediatric neonatal surgical problems and its management.
- CONTACT NUMBER : 0427- 2213679.