The exclusive Diabetology department was started in 2017 at GMKMCH,Salem and is headed by Prof.Dr.G.PRAKASH M.D.,D.Diab.. Comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services are offered by the department of Diabetology. The department is well equipped to treat, Type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes and other forms of diabetes.
Diabetic foot ulcers are avoidable by appropriate management and care. The experienced team doctors at GMKMCH offers the best care and treatment for patients with diabetic foot ulcers. Poorly controlled diabetes can lead to foot ulcers which in turn leads to amputations, vision loss, kidney damage. The Department focuses on controlling high blood sugar, thereby preventing its complications and mortality.
The department provides patient friendly diabetic care and improves the quality of life among diabetics.The department is running a separate preventive diabetic foot care clinic for prevention of diabetic foot ulcer. Periodic screening for microvascular complications in all diabetic patients were done.
To achieve target glycemic control in all diabetic patients*
Prevent occurrence of all diabetic complications in our diabetic patients by periodic screening and maintenance of glycemic targets.
- To screen patients at risk of Diabetes mellitus
- To screen for complications at diagnosis of diabetes mellitus
- To screen all pregnant patients for GDM to prevent maternal and fetal complications
- To provide drugs and insulin for outpatients on a regular basis.
- To prevent complications of diabetes mellitus with maintenance of glycemic targets
- Preventive foot care screening and education
- To refer patients with complications to concerned department for treatment at the earliest
a)Name and Designation of all faculties
- Dr.P.Nivethapriya M.D.,
- Dr.K.Archanaa M.D.,
b) Department address for communication
Department of Diabetology,
Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College Hospital,
d)Department website in charge:
Dr.A.K.Porkodi MBBS., D.Diab.,
a)Op services: All days except Sundays(8.00am-12.00pm)
b) Special Clinics:
|MONDAY||Retina Clinic||12-1 PM|
|TUESDAY||Pregnancy clinic||12-1 PM|
|WEDNESDAY||Patient education and demonstration||12-1 PM|
|THURSDAY||Paediatric clinic||12-1 PM|
|FRIDAY||Foot Clinic||12-1 PM|
a) Lab service:
Blood sugar, HbA1c, Blood urea,Sr.Creatinine, Lipid profile ,LFT, Vitamin B12,Vitamin D3,Thyroid function tests, C-peptide levels , Sr.Insulin levels, Anti-TPO antibody, Urine Routine, Urine ACR
b) Screening: (12.00pm-2.00pm)
a. Neuropathy – Biothesiometry
b. Vascular patency – Ankle brachial index Doppler study
c. Autonomic neuropathy – Cardiac autonomic neuropathy screening study
d. Retina clinic - Retinopathy screening
- NEUROSTIM -for treatment of Diabetic peripheral neuropathy
- Pulsed Electromagnetic field therapy(PULSATRON)-For treatment of Diabetic peripheral neuropathy and chronic non-healing ulcers
- PODIOSTAT for designing foot wears exclusively for Diabetic patients
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate Medical Students training
- Nursing students
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship Course In Diabetology to be started from this academic year (2022)
ON GOING PROJECTS IN THE DEPARTMENT OF DIABETOLOGY
- A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF DIPSI AND IADPSG CRITERIA FOR SCREENING OF GESTATIONAL DIABETES MELLITUS.
- VITAMIN B12 LEVELS IN CHRONIC METFORMIN THERAPY.
- THYROID DYSFUNCTION IN TYPE 1 DIABETES.
- HEMORHEOLOGICAL FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES.
- EVALUATION FOR THE PREVALENCE OF COMPLICATIONS IN TYPE 1 AND TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS.
- RETINOPATHY SCREENING IN NEW ONSET TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS.
- AUTO-ANTIBODIES AND C PEPTIDE LEVEL IN TYPE 1 DIABETES
- A PROSPECTIVE STUDY ON THE EFFECT OF PULSED ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD THERAPY IN NON-HEALING WAGNER TYPE 1& 2 CHRONIC ULCER IN DIABETES
- AUTO IMMUNE THYROID DYSFUNCTION IN TYPE 1 DIABETES MELLITUS
- ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION OF SECONDARY DRUG FAILURE IN TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS
- SCREENING FOR CARDIAC DYSAUTONOMIA IN TYPE 2 DIABETICS WITH DIABETIC FOOT SYNDROME AT TERTIARY CARE LEVEL
- CORRELATION BETWEEN EGFR AND MICROVASCULAR COMPLICATIONS OF TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS
- A PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF CLINICAL PRESENTATION, RISK FACTORS AND OUTCOME OF DIABETIC KETOACIDOSIS IN DIABETES MELITUS
- PREVALENCE OF GLUCOSE INTOLERANCE IN CIRRHOTICS AND RISK FACTORS PREDICTING ITS PROGRESSION TO DIABETES MELLITUS
- ASYMPTOMATIC LEFT VENTRICULAR DYSFUNCTION IN T2DM
- CLUSTER CLASSIFICATION AMONG TYPE 2DIABETES IN TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL
- COMPARATIVE STUDY ON PLATELET INDICES WITH DURATION OF T2DIABETES AND ITS CORRELATION WITH MICROVASCULAR COMPLICATIONS.
- SCREENING FOR DIABETES MELLITUS IN TRIBAL VILLAGES OF KRISHNAGIRI DISTRICT, TAMILNADU-RSSDI 2013, NEW DELHI.
- A STUDY OF DYSLIPIDAEMIA IN TYPE-2 DM, RSSDI 2012, KOLKATA.
- A STUDY ON HS-CRP LEVEL IN TYPE-2 DM, RSSDI 2008, HYDERABAD.
- ROLE OF FASTING C-PEPTIDE LEVEL IN DIFFERENTIATION OF DIABETES MELLITUS OCCUR IN THE YOUNG-APICON 2008 KOCHI.
- AN INTERESTING CASE OF DIABETES MELLITUS OCCURRING IN THE YOUNG-RSSDI 2011, CHENNAI.
VR JOSHI JAPI AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING REFEREE FOR THE YEAR 2019 FOR SCRUTINIZING THE ARTICLES PUBLISHED IN THE JOURNAL OF THE ASSOCIATION OF PHYSICIANS OF INDIA ( JAPI ).
Publications and studies from the Department of Diabetology
- G. Prakash, JA. Vasantha Kumar, JA. Elanchezhian, D. Vijayaraju, T. Yoganandh, R. Shankar, Maternal & Foetal Outcomes of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus treated with Human Insulin. International Archives of BioMedical & Clinical Research, Sep 2016.
- G. Prakash, S. Geetha, S. Suresh Kanna. A study on the use of Fasting C-peptide assay in Diabetes Mellitus occurring in the young, Stanley Medical Journal, Jan 2017.
- D. Vijayaraju, G. Prakash, T. Yoganandh, SR. Subramanium, P. Ramkumar. Salt and Pepper Skin pigmentation in Sceleroderma, JAPI Sep 2015
- K. Mugundhan, MC. VasifMayan, PD. Nidhin, G. Prakash, N. Balamurugan, KG. Sivakumar. Hypokalemic Paralysis in Sjogren’s Syndrome Secondary to Renal Tubular Acidosis. JAPI, March 2016.
- S Geetha, G. Prakash, J A Elanchezhian, P Prasannakumar, J K A Harinidevi, M Manimala Screening for Thyroid Dysfunction in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Stanley Medical Journal, Oct - Dec 2017
- G.Prakash, D Vijayaraju, M Manimala, J A Vasanthakumar, K Mugundhan, S Sivakumar Prevalence of Subclinical Peripheral Neuropathy By Nerve Conduction Study In Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus , J. Evid. Based Med. Health : Vol 6/Issue 6/Aug 26 - 2019 .
- G.Prakash, D Vijayaraju, J A Vasanthakumar A Study on vitamin B12 assay in type 2 Diabetes mellitus on Chronic metformin therapy in a tertiary care centre. International Archives of integrated medicine,Volume 7 /Issue 3/ March 2020
National Gestational Diabetes mellitus day celebration -March 10
Census for theYear 2022
|YEAR||NO OF CASES|
b) Newly diagnosed GDM
|YEAR||Number of GDM Patients|
c)Newly diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes mellitus
|YEAR||Number of T1DM Patients|